Tuesday, July 20, 2010

July 20, 2010

Evalie Says...

I accomplished something pretty impressive today that I'm extremely proud of. Tomorrow I might be even more excited and proud. I opened up my Grandma Henery's sewing machine and worked on Kate's curtains for a few hours after Kate went to bed. There were two items that I wanted from my grandma when she passed. One was her kitchen table where we would spend every Easter coloring eggs. The second was her sewing machine. My sister inherited my mother's, so I wanted the second best thing. I was a little worried that it wouldn't work, but it started up right away. I was so proud that I spun the bobbin, thread the needle and began sewing away. At about midnight, I broke the needle so I had to put a stop for the night. I hope to finish the curtains tomorrow and will show off the results.

The machine that made so many quilts....





As I sewed I shed a few tears in remembrance of my grandmother and of my mother.
I have decided that they would be proud of my efforts!


My first row on the old machine...


It is much more straight than I thought it would be! I must have improved from my last project ten years ago.


As soon as it was done, I just felt great inside. A sense of accomplishment I guess. I've been saying to Josh that I wanted to pick up sewing again, but this makes it a little bit more real. I guess that perhaps that quilting class this winter is something that I really want to do deep within. I couldn't take the smile off my face. Too bad my whole family was in bed to witness my joy!

1 comment:

andrea said...

TAKE THE QUILTING CLASS! Sewing has become such a great way for me to still feel connected to my mom. I'm not sure if you read the blog post I wrote once after making a doll nursing cover for Lillian, but it's one of my favorite memories. and I think you'd like it too. Good job for picking it up again. can't wait to see the results!