Evalie Says…
Yesterday my mother would have celebrated her 61st birthday. I tried to think of little ways to celebrate her all day long. As I grow older, it becomes harder and harder to continue celebrating the woman that she was. I’m constantly trying to keep her memory alive in my daily life. I aspire to be more like her everyday.
I wanted to name Kate after my mother the minute I found out that I was having a little girl. It took some time to for Josh to get on the same page as me, but I think he finally got it in the recovery room after my caesarian. It was something that I wanted to do to honor the woman that she was. I can only hope and pray that we raise Kate to be such an amazing person. I am glad that there have been moments in my life that I see my mother in my daughter. And I truly thank God for that.
I’ve struggled with the how I will teach Kate about my mother, but I have started small. If anyone knows me truly, you will know that my baby blanket, Kee Kee, holds a very special place in my heart. My mother knitted Kee Kee for me when I was a baby. I’ve had Kee Kee as a comfort in my life as long as I can remember. Kate has taken a liking to Kee Kee.
I love seeing Kate take her little fingers and push them through the knitted border like I used to do as a child. I love seeing her snuggle up with her when she lies down in her bed. I love seeing her carry her around the house. I love seeing her eyes brighten up when she sees Kee Kee.
In my life Kee Kee symbolized my mother. Whenever I needed a mother to comfort me, I had Kee Kee to make things get better… I hope as Kate gets older, she realizes that Kee Kee is not only a part of me but a part of her grandmother.
2 comments:
Thinking of you... thank you for sharing your thoughts. I think of you so often. I think of how if I could go back to high school and your brothers and your mom - I'd say things differently. I'd be more understanding, more supportive. To this day I am amazed at all of the things you have survived. You are an amazing woman. Kate will know and love your mom - because you know and love your mom. And if you ever need help - call my mom for stories of your mom babysitting her :-) How is that for a crazy small wonderful world?
That was a lot of rambling for a "thinking of you" post.
Love you
Jantina
First..Wow, Kate looks so much like Josh! :) I also wanted to tell you this post was very sweet. Thanks for sharing.
Renee
Post a Comment