Josh and I are what some people call the competitive type. We makes bets or compete about pretty much everything on a daily basis. It is just part of our relationship. It is one of the joyous events in my life.
At times, we make wagers but not always. For example, in the past few weeks we have competed on our cooking skills (I make a better lasagna), made wagers on who will be be kicked off American Idol, bet upon the the neighbors selling their house, how many inches of snow we will really get, will I have school/a late start or not, who can get more hugs or kisses from Kate, and the list goes on...I love seeing Josh's look when he says, "i bet..?" You can only guess what it is like on an award's show night!
Well, some of our competitions happens without being verbalized. On Ash Wednesday, our pastor created centers during the service. After the sermon as a congregation, we walked around the sanctuary getting our hands washed, oils rubbed on us, ashes upon our foreheads, communion, and last of all we planted a seed in a cup. When we arrived home, the two cups found their home on our kitchen windowsill.
Throughout this season, we both have been caring for our seeds as if they were our second child. Then one day, I noticed that my seed has poked out first. I just had to let it be known to my husband. I could see pure disappointment in his face that his didn't germinate as fast as mine. I guess the competition began that day. I had noticed that there would be days that Josh's plant was nicely watered, but mine would be a little on the dry side. Then there was the day, that while washing Kate's high chair tray, I knocked Josh's into the sink. I quickly tried to save it without Josh knowing. We both wanted our plants to grow big and beautiful, first.
In the end with Easter this Sunday, the competition has ended without any words like it started. Throughout the middle of our growing, we started lose site of the true meaning of watching our plants grow. A few years back our pastor gave a great sermon on watching a certain tree during Lent as it comes alive again after the winter. This was the purpose. I can only hope we have the same excitement on Easter morning in church as we did when our seeds poked through the soil.
Josh and I will continue to be competitive on a daily basis. Who knows what our next friendly competition will lead me to think...
Happy Easter!
Mine is on the left ;)
1 comment:
Josh competative. I have no idea where he got that from.
Whanna bet what he will say???
Post a Comment